Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference 2021
University of Antwerp
July 2, 2021 1:00 pm — July 4, 2021 3:00 pm
The Society’s 2021 conference will take place at University of Antwerp, 2 — 4 July.
The call for papers and panels will open Sep/Oct 2020
(Invited participants will be able to confirm or decline participation here.)
Papers will be given on a wide range of topics across the field of applied philosophy.
The keynote speakers will be Jonathan Quong (USC), Hanna Pickard (John Hopkins), Alison Hills (Oxford), Gary Watson (USC), and Philippe van Parijs (Louvain)
Annual Conference POSTGRADUATE ESSAY PRIZE
A prize of £500 will be awarded to the best postgraduate essay submission.
Chair persons will be required for some of the sessions at the conference. Chair persons are responsible for introducing speakers during one (or more) of the concurrent sessions, ensuring the session begins and ends on time, and for chairing Q&A after the speaker’s presentation. Chair persons must hold or have held an academic position in philosophy or have completed or be a completing a PhD in philosophy.
If you are interested in being included in the programme as a chair person for one (or more) of the sessions please contact email@example.com (please state academic position, etc. and institutional affiliation).
Jonathan Quong (USC)
Hanna Pickard (John Hopkins)
Alison Hills (Oxford)
Gary Watson (USC)
Philippe van Parijs (Louvain)
- SAP Annual Conference 2021 programme (forthcoming Mar/Apr 2021)
- SAP Annual Conference 2021 abstracts (forthcoming May/June 2021)
Registration will open in Mar/Apr 2021
Conference rates and options for 2021 are to be confirmed. The rates below oultine the costs of the 2019 Annual Conference in (Cardiff). They are included for illustration purposes only. Costs and options vary between venues. Cost outline for 2021 (Antwerp) will be provided in Feb/Mar 2021.
- Rate 1 — Full Weekend with accommodation (B&B Fri & Sat, registration, lunch, tea/coffee, dinner): £250 non members, £230 members.
- Rate 1(S) Student Full Weekend with accommodation (B&B Fri & Sat, registration, lunch, tea/coffee, dinner): £150 non members, £130 members. N.B. Rate 1(S) is only available to students who are not presenting a paper at the event. There is a fee waiver for students who are presenting at the event (registration is still required — Step 1 only)
- Rate 2 — Day Delegate Full Weekend (registration, lunches fri-sun, tea/coffee fri-sun, fri and sat dinner): £170 non members, £150 members.
- Rate 2(S) — Student Day Delegate Full Weekend (registration, lunch, tea/coffee, fri/sat dinner): £70 non members, £50 members. N.B. Rate 2(S) is only available to students who are not presenting a paper at the event. There is a fee waiver for students who are presenting at the event (registration is still required — Step 1 only)
- Rate 3 — Day Delegate Single Day (registration, lunch, tea/coffee, fri/sat dinner) £70 non members, £60 members.
- Rate 4 — Faculty Day Rate (registration, tea/coffee only, i.e. lunch, dinner not provided): £25 non members, £15 members (this option is only available to local faculty staff and students).
Accommodation arrangements tbc.
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND VENUE INFORMATION
- Venue and Travel information
University of Antwerp
Stadscampus — Hof van Liere
- Google Map
Caring Supplementary Grants
- To enable parents and carers to attend the Society’s Annual Conference by making a supplementary contribution towards caring costs up to a maximum of £250.
- This funding option is only available to members of the Society for Applied Philosophy.
- Candidates should first approach their own institution to see if any arrangements for funding caring costs are in place, before applying for the SAP grant. Where the institutions does not make such provision, the Society is willing to make a supplementary grant as a contribution to the costs.
- Confirmation of participation and the extra reasonable costs associated with care that will be incurred is required before payment of the grant can be made.
- Applications are considered by the Society in the March before its annual conference commences. Grants will not be made retrospectively.
- Each case will be considered on its merits, but other things being equal, priority will be given to early career applicants and to those who have not already received support for caring costs from other sources. Priority will also be given to those whose papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference.
Application: Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (in .docx or .rtf format) an application providing the following:
- Your name, email address, and membership number.
- A statement indicating: (a) why the funding is necessary; (b) that all options from the applicant's host instution have been tried/exhausted.
- A breakdown of specific costs involved and final sum requested from the SAP.
Where funding is successful applicants will be reimbursed on submission of receipt(s) for the relevant costs to the Society’s Treasurer
The deadline for such applications is 22 March 2021
The Society can also contribute to the cost of attendance for persons with disabilities. Enquiries should go to email@example.com in the first instance.