Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference 2021
Online conference (time zone BST / GMT +01:00)
July 2, 2021 1:45 pm — July 4, 2021 6:00 pm
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Society has taken the decision not to hold its annual conference in-person in 2021 due to global pandemic. The event, which was to be hosted by University of Antwerp next July, has, therefore, been cancelled. Instead the SAP Annual Conference 2021 will be an online conference taking place over the dates scheduled for the Antwerp event (2 — 4 July). The SAP hopes to host its Annual Conference in Antwerp in 2023.
(Invited participants will be able to confirm or decline participation here.)
Papers will be given on a wide range of topics across the field of applied philosophy.
The keynote speakers will be Alison Hills (Oxford) and Philippe van Parijs (Louvain)
Annual Conference POSTGRADUATE ESSAY PRIZE
A prize of £500 will be awarded to the best postgraduate essay submission.
Chair persons will be required for some of the sessions at the conference. Chair persons are responsible for introducing speakers during one (or more) of the concurrent sessions, ensuring the session begins and ends on time, and for chairing Q&A after the speaker’s presentation. Chair persons must hold or have held an academic position in philosophy or have completed or be a completing a PhD in philosophy.
If you are interested in being included in the programme as a chair person for one (or more) of the sessions please contact email@example.com (please state academic position, etc. and institutional affiliation).
Persons and pictures: the value and status of works of art
Alison Hills (University of Oxford)
How easy is it to be a philosophe engagé? Temptations and pitfalls
Philippe van Parijs (UC Louvain)
Registration for the event is now closed (21 June).
Registration options are as follows:
- SAP members / students / unwaged (conference registration only), £10
- SAP (waged) Non-members (conference registration only), £20
- Non-members with membership offer (conference registration and full SAP membership for 2021), £30
Caring Supplementary Grants
- To enable parents and carers to attend the Society’s Annual Conference by making a supplementary contribution towards caring costs up to a maximum of £250.
- This funding option is only available to members of the Society for Applied Philosophy.
- Candidates should first approach their own institution to see if any arrangements for funding caring costs are in place, before applying for the SAP grant. Where the institutions does not make such provision, the Society is willing to make a supplementary grant as a contribution to the costs.
- Confirmation of participation and the extra reasonable costs associated with care that will be incurred is required before payment of the grant can be made.
- Applications are considered by the Society in the March before its annual conference commences. Grants will not be made retrospectively.
- Each case will be considered on its merits, but other things being equal, priority will be given to early career applicants and to those who have not already received support for caring costs from other sources. Priority will also be given to those whose papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference.
Application: Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (in .docx or .rtf format) an application providing the following:
- Your name, email address, and membership number.
- A statement indicating: (a) why the funding is necessary; (b) that all options from the applicant's host instution have been tried/exhausted.
- A breakdown of specific costs involved and final sum requested from the SAP.
Where funding is successful applicants will be reimbursed on submission of receipt(s) for the relevant costs to the Society’s Treasurer
The deadline for such applications is 22 March 2021
The Society can also contribute to the cost of attendance for persons with disabilities. Enquiries should go to email@example.com in the first instance.