The Society’s 2024 conference will take place at St Anne’s College, Oxford 28 — 30 June.
Papers will be given on a wide range of topics across the field of applied philosophy
(Authors of papers selected for inclusion in the programme can confirm or decline intention to attend here.).
Call For Papers:
Papers can be submitted from 01 October 2023.
The deadline for submissions is Monday 15 January 2024.
Individual / Co-authored papers:
- Please submit a 1500 word abstract AND 300 word synopsis here (from 01 October 2023).
- Please submit a 1500 word outline of the session along with a 300 word abstract for each of the papers in the panel here (from 01 October 2023).
Submissions will be assessed following the deadline and an outcome will be advised in (late) February / (early) March 2024.
The conference will be an in-person (non-hybrid) event.
- The conference will host up to 50 individual / co-authored papers across 10 concurrent sessions: typically 5 papers per session.
- Concurrent sessions will run for 40 mins each: 25–30 min for the speaker’s presentation, 10–15 min for Q&A.
- The conference will host up to five panel sessions running concurrently over a two hour time slot.
- The conference will host 4 keynote speakers over 4 plenary sessions (see details below)
- Plenary sessions will run for 70 mins each: 45–50 min for the speaker’s presentation, 20–25 min for Q&A.
Annual Conference Postgraduate Essay Prize
The SAP will consider applications for a postgraduate essay prize (£500) to one student for an outstanding essay submission.
Chair persons will be required for some of the sessions at the conference. Chair persons are responsible for introducing speakers during one (or more) of the concurrent sessions, ensuring the session begins and ends on time, and for chairing Q&A after the speaker’s presentation. Chair persons must hold or have held an academic position in philosophy or have completed or be a completing a PhD in philosophy.
If you are interested in being included in the programme as a chair person for one (or more) of the sessions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (please state academic position, etc. and institutional affiliation).
Marya Schechtman (University of Illinois at Chicago)
Geoff Sayre-McCord (UNC-Chapel Hill)
Neil Levy (University of Oxford)
Jennifer Saul (University of Waterloo)
- SAP Annual Conference 2024_programme (available Mar / Apr 2024)
- SAP Annual Conference 2024_abstracts (available Apr / May 2024)
Registration will open Mar / Apr 2024.
The deadline for registration will be 11:59pm (BST / GMT+01.00) on Friday 31 May 2024.
Conference rates and registration options for 2024 are to be confirmed.
For indication, rates and registration options for the 2022 conference (Edinburgh) were:
- Rate 1 — Full Weekend with accommodation (B&B Fri & Sat, registration, lunch, tea/coffee, dinner): £390 non members, £370 members.
- Rate 1(S) Student Full Weekend with accommodation (B&B Fri & Sat, registration, lunch, tea/coffee, dinner): £290 non members, £270 members. N.B. Rate 1(S) is only available to students who are not presenting a paper at the event. There is a fee waiver for students who are presenting at the event (registration is still required — Step 1 only)
- Rate 2 — Day Delegate Full Weekend (registration, lunches fri-sun, tea/coffee fri-sun, fri and sat dinner): £240 non members, £220 members.
- Rate 2(S) — Student Day Delegate Full Weekend (registration, lunch, tea/coffee, fri/sat dinner): £140 non members, £120 members. N.B. Rate 2(S) is only available to students who are not presenting a paper at the event. There is a fee waiver for students who are presenting at the event (registration is still required — Step 1 only)
- Rate 3 — Day Delegate Single Day (registration, lunch, tea/coffee, fri/sat dinner) £120 non members, £110 members.
- Rate 4 — Faculty Day Rate (registration, tea/coffee only, i.e. lunch, dinner not provided): £30 non members, £20 members (this option is only available to University of Edinburgh faculty staff and students).
Accommodation details tbc.
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND VENUE INFORMATION