Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference 2018
June 29, 2018 12:00 pm — July 1, 2018 1:00 pm
Contact email@example.com for more information.
The Society for Applied Philosophy was founded in 1982 with the aim of promoting philosophical study and research that has a direct bearing on areas of practical concern. It arose from an increasing awareness that many topics of public debate are capable of being illuminated by the critical, analytic approach characteristic of philosophy, and by direct consideration of questions of value.
The Society for Applied Philosophy was founded in 1982 with the aim of promoting philosophical study and research that has a direct bearing on areas of practical concern. It arose from an increasing awareness that many topics of public debate are capable of being illuminated by the critical, analytic approach characteristic of philosophy, and by direct consideration of questions of value. These topics come from a number of different areas of social life — law, politics, economics, science, technology, medicine and education are among the most obvious. The purpose of the SAP is foster and promote philosophical work that is intended to make a constructive contribution to problems in these areas.
CALL FOR PAPERS closed Mon 15 Jan 2018 — no further proposals can be taken at this time
Open themed event
The event will be an open themed applied philosophy conference (papers will be given across a wide range of topics in applied philosophy).
Plenary speakers: Onora O’Neill (Cambridge), Susan Wolf (North Carolina), Miranda Fricker (New York), Pauline Kleingeld (Groningen)
CFP SUBMISSION PROCESS
Please submit a 1500 word abstract ACCOMPANIED BY a 300 word synopsis. Papers submitted for consideration must not have been published, or accepted for publication in final form, at the time of submission.
Deadline for submission was: Monday 15 January 2018.
The organisers hope to include some panel sessions at this year’s annual conference.
SUBMISSION PROCESS for PANEL TOPICS
Please submit a 1500 word outline of the session ALONG WITH a 300 word abstract for each of the papers in the panel. Papers submitted for consideration must not have been published, or accepted for publication in final form, at the time of submission.
Deadline for submission was Monday 15 January 2018.
Annual Conference POSTGRADUATE ESSAY PRIZE
A prize of £500 will be awarded to the best postgraduate essay submission.
Chair persons will be required for some of the sessions at the conference. Chair persons are responsible for introducing speakers during one (or more) of the concurrent sessions, ensuring the session begins and ends on time, and for chairing Q&A after the speaker’s presentation. Chair persons must hold or have held an academic position in philosophy or have completed or be a completing a PhD in philosophy.
If you are interested in being included in the programme as a chair person for one (or more) of the sessions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (please state academic position, etc. and institutional affiliation).
Ambivalence About Forgiveness
How to Use Someone ‘Merely As a Means’
COSTS, PAYMENTS, REGISTRATION
Registration now closed — deadlines
- 04 May (postgraduate speakers registration)
- 17 May (accommodation via block booking)
- 31 May (ordinary delegates registration)
All attendees must register for the event.
Conference rates for 2018
N.B. accommodation (not included in rates below) can be booked directly with the hotel at a rate of 115 euro (c.106GBP) per night, B&B — a booking form for accommodation is available on the registration page.
Rate 1 — full weekend day delegate (registration, lunches fri-sun, t&c fri-sun, fri and sat dinner) £280 non members, £260 members.
Rate 1.1 — student full weekend day delegate (registration, lunch, t&c, fri/sat dinner — 10 places only) — £180 non members, £160 members.
Rate 2 — day delegate individual day (registration, lunch, t&c, fri/sat dinner) £140 non members, £130 members.
Rate 3 — faculty day delegate rate (registration, t&c) i.e. no lunch or dinner, University of Utrecht faculty staff/students only: £35 non members, £25 members (this option is available to University of Utrecht faculty staff and students only).
Postgraduate students presenting their paper at the event will have registration fees and accommodation costs (29 & 30 June) waived. Further details provided on registration page.
Caring Supplementary Grants
- To enable parents and carers to attend the Society’s Annual Conference by making a supplementary contribution towards caring costs up to a maximum of £250.
- This funding option is only available to members of the Society for Applied Philosophy.
- Candidates should first approach their own institution to see if any arrangements for funding caring costs are in place, before applying for the SAP grant. Where the institutions does not make such provision, the Society is willing to make a supplementary grant as a contribution to the costs.
- Confirmation of participation and the extra reasonable costs associated with care that will be incurred is required before payment of the grant can be made.
- Applications are considered by the Society in the March before its annual conference commences. Grants will not be made retrospectively.
- Each case will be considered on its merits, but other things being equal, priority will be given to early career applicants and to those who have not already received support for caring costs from other sources. Priority will also be given to those whose papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference.
Application: Please submit to email@example.com (in .docx or .rtf format) an application providing the following:
- Your name, email address, and membership number.
- A statement indicating: (a) why the funding is necessary; (b) that all options from the applicant’s host instution have been tried/exhausted.
- A breakdown of specific costs involved and final sum requested from the SAP.
Where funding is successful applicants will be reimbursed on submission of receipt(s) for the relevant costs to the Society’s Treasurer
The deadline for such applications is 23 March 2018
The Society can also contribute to the cost of attendance for persons with disabilities. Enquiries should go to firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- Venue and travel information Mitland Hotel, Ariënslaan 1, 3573 PT Utrecht, Netherlands
- Google Map Mitland Hotel, Ariënslaan 1, 3573 PT Utrecht, Netherlands
- Google map travel between Schipol Airport Amsterdam and Hotel Mitland, Utrecht
- Other ‘how to get there’ travel information.