Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference 2019
University of Cardiff
June 28, 2019 11:00 am — June 30, 2019 12:00 pm
The Society’s 2019 conference will take place in Cardiff, 28–30 June. The call for papers and panels is now closed (Monday 14 January 2019). (Invited participants can confirm or decline invitation here.)
Papers will be given on a wide range of topics across the field of applied philosophy.
The keynote speakers will be Rainer Forst (GU Frankfurt), Christopher Bennett (Sheffield), Niko Kolodny (UC Berkeley) and Margaret Moore (QU Kingston).
Annual Conference POSTGRADUATE ESSAY PRIZE
A prize of £500 will be awarded to the best postgraduate essay submission.
Chair persons will be required for some of the sessions at the conference. Chair persons are responsible for introducing speakers during one (or more) of the concurrent sessions, ensuring the session begins and ends on time, and for chairing Q&A after the speaker’s presentation. Chair persons must hold or have held an academic position in philosophy or have completed or be a completing a PhD in philosophy.
If you are interested in being included in the programme as a chair person for one (or more) of the sessions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (please state academic position, etc. and institutional affiliation).
(University of Sheffield)
(University of California, Berkeley)
(Queen’s University, Kingston)
- SAP Annual Conference 2019 programme (forthcoming Apr 2019) (Invited participants can confirm or decline invitation here.)
- SAP Annual Conference 2019 programme abstracts (forthcoming May 2019)
(Registration opens Mar‐Apr 2019).
All attendees must register for the event.
Conference rates for 2019 are to be confirmed, the rates below are for indication purposes only:
- Rate 1 — full weekend (registration, lunch, t&c, dinner, accomm Fri 30 Jun, accomm Sat 1 Jul) £310 non members, £290 members.
- Rate 1.1 student full weekend (registration, lunch, t&c, dinner, accomm Fri 30 Jun, accomm Sat 1 Jul) £210 non members, £190 members.
- Rate 2 — day delegate full weekend (registration, lunches fri‐sun, t&c fri‐sun, fri and sat dinner) £155 non members, £135 members.
- Rate 2.1 — student full weekend day delegate (registration, lunch, t&c, fri/sat dinner) — £55 non members, £35 members.
- Rate 3 — day delegate (registration, lunch, t&c, fri/sat dinner) £70 non members, £60 members.
- Rate 4 — faculty day rate (registration, t&c) i.e. no lunch or dinner, University of Cardiff faculty staff/students only: £25 non members, £0 members (this option is available to University of Cardiff faculty staff and students only).
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND VENUE INFORMATION
Caring Supplementary Grants
- To enable parents and carers to attend the Society’s Annual Conference by making a supplementary contribution towards caring costs up to a maximum of £250.
- This funding option is only available to members of the Society for Applied Philosophy.
- Candidates should first approach their own institution to see if any arrangements for funding caring costs are in place, before applying for the SAP grant. Where the institutions does not make such provision, the Society is willing to make a supplementary grant as a contribution to the costs.
- Confirmation of participation and the extra reasonable costs associated with care that will be incurred is required before payment of the grant can be made.
- Applications are considered by the Society in the March before its annual conference commences. Grants will not be made retrospectively.
- Each case will be considered on its merits, but other things being equal, priority will be given to early career applicants and to those who have not already received support for caring costs from other sources. Priority will also be given to those whose papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference.
Application: Please submit to email@example.com (in .docx or .rtf format) an application providing the following:
- Your name, email address, and membership number.
- A statement indicating: (a) why the funding is necessary; (b) that all options from the applicant's host instution have been tried/exhausted.
- A breakdown of specific costs involved and final sum requested from the SAP.
Where funding is successful applicants will be reimbursed on submission of receipt(s) for the relevant costs to the Society’s Treasurer
The deadline for such applications is 22 March 2019
The Society can also contribute to the cost of attendance for persons with disabilities. Enquiries should go to firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.